As I was planning this post, I was thinking that yet again, I am being very weather inappropriate. This is because of course I’m behind with my blog pictures and did not post this when I actually made it. Then again, what’s new? However, when I stepped outside to take the pictures it felt well suitable, it’s really nippy in London. So, let’s pretend we’re in the Southern Hemisphere and it’s autumn rather than summer.
So, about this dress… I first saw it while trawling through the Burda Style website and I was actually initially attracted to the jumper version, especially because of the shoulder seam zipper. But then I saw the dress and I really wanted to make it. I had initially made a version without the zipper, as I was in hurry to finish it for an event the next day (again, what’s new?). Luckily, my sister really liked it, so I gave it to her. Because I had more of the same fabric, I put it down as wearable muslin and made my own improved version. I also had an idea of giving it massive bishop sleeves, something like this (image from Polyvore via Pinterest).
I tried to modify the sleeve pattern to made it wider, but I didn’t add enough width, so just ended up reverting to the original sleeve design, but I think that also works quite nicely.
What I liked about the pattern:
- the half turtleneck neckline + zipper
- The knee length
Here are the technical details:
Pattern: Burda Magazine November 2015, Design #114 view A. Below is the line drawing. I cut a size 38 without adding any seam allowance.
Fabric: Ribbed poly jersey from Abakhan, which I got on a trip to Manchester in January. Last year I bought the same fabric in navy and I loved it so much that I got in green and black as well. Check out what I made with the navy one here and here.
Alterations: The pattern has a really low shoulder line, so much so that the first version I made looked like it was a few good sizes too big for me. So I modified the armscye to reduce the shoulder line by 1”, though it think it could use removing another 1cm. I also took out a fair chunk out of the armpit area, there was a lot of fabric hanging in an unsightly way. You can’t really see that on the picture of the sample, but the armhole surely is drafted way too big. I also took in a few cms on the side seam. This is partly because I used jersey instead of woven as per the pattern requirements, but I’m sure there is quite a lot of ease.
The pattern required an invisible zipper, but I used a regular zipper and left it exposed as a design effect.
Construction: The construction is quite simple, and I used the overlocked for the majority of it. I used the sewing machine to insert the zipper, the darts and understitch the facings. I also used the coverhem machine to finish the hems of the bottom and the sleeves, but using a chain stitch, rather than a double stitch.
Verdict: Winner! I love this dress and got some many compliments for it already. It’s a really stunning colour and it’s easy to wear with both heels and flats. When the weather was colder, I did wear a slip underneath as it really does show all the lumps and bumps.
Have a nice week all and stand together wherever you are!
————- DON’T MISS A SINGLE POST —————
Enter your email address in the box below and you’ll be sent an email every time I publish something new!
———— FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA ————-